Smoke Alarm Alerts Family Member to Fire

A bedroom fire caused some damage to a home on Cedar Drive Wednesday afternoon but a smoke alarm may have prevented greater destruction.
The fire occurred at the home of Gene and Vicky Foster at 262 Cedar Drive. It was reported at 2:50 p.m.
“A family member was at the house and discovered the fire in a bedroom closet after apparently hearing a smoke alarm alert. She alerted DeKalb 911 and the DeKalb County Fire Department was dispatched to the address. Upon arrival, firefighters found smoke coming from around the eaves of the home and located a fire in the back bedroom. Mr. and Mrs. Foster were out of town and the family member was able to get out the house safely,” said County Fire Chief Donny Green.
“Firefighters entered the home and successfully extinguished the fire in the back bedroom and then cleared the smoke from the home. The fire was contained to the bedroom and an area immediately outside the bedroom. However, the entire residence, as well as its contents, received extensive smoke and heat damage. The fire department, assisted by the DeKalb County Sheriff’s Department, determined the fire to be accidental in nature and the likely source was an electrical connection in the bedroom wall outlet,” said Chief Green.
The DeKalb County Fire Department’s Short Mountain, Main, and Keltonburg stations responded, along with the DeKalb County Sheriff’s Department, and DeKalb County Emergency Medical Services. The family is temporarily staying with relatives.

Posted in News and tagged .