Lovell Scheduled to be Released from Prison

33 year old Karen Lynn Lovell is scheduled to get out of prison Wednesday
According to the Tennessee Department of Corrections website, Lovell’s sentence, which began on February 22nd, 2004, is scheduled to end on January 21st. She has been incarcerated at the Tennessee Prison for Women in Nashville.
The woman who escaped from the DeKalb County Jail in May, 2003 and was later shot by Captain Mark Collins of the Sheriff’s Department, received a six year prison sentence after pleading guilty in Criminal Court to three of the five charges against her.
Lovell appeared before Circuit Court Judge John Maddux in October, 2003 and pleaded guilty to aggravated assault, escape, and intentional killing of an animal.
Lovell received a six year sentence on the assault charge, 11 months and 29 days for escape, 11 months and 29 days and for the killing of the animal. All the sentences were to run concurrently or together for one six year sentence. The sentence however was to run consecutive to the conviction for which she was incarcerated when she escaped. She was in jail serving three concurrent 11 month-29 day sentences on charges of telephone harassment and stalking.
Other charges of attempted first degree murder and aggravated kidnaping were dismissed under the plea bargain agreement.
The story began around midnight on Friday, May 7, 2003 during the previous sheriff’s administration when Lovell reportedly faked an illness at the jail and was taken to the local hospital. When she was returned to the jail authorities were conducting a marijuana search when Lovell grabbed a service revolver and the keys to a patrol car and escaped.
Lovell drove to the home of her sister, Cathy Lester, on King Ridge Road, where Lester has legal custody of Lovell’s son Kaden, who was three years old at the time. Lovell shot the Lester family dog, a doberman, took the child at gun point, and then drove away with her son.
Deputy David Ward saw Lovell traveling southwest on New Home Road. Ward exited his vehicle and stood near the driver’s side door when Lovell drove toward him. Ward was thrown onto the hood of his car and Lovell, after also striking the driver’s side door, proceeded in the same direction before spinning out a short distance away. She then abandoned the stolen patrol car and fled on foot. A quick investigation of the scene indicated Lovell fired at deputy Ward, who was not seriously injured. Two spent shell casings from the stolen .40 Glock were found in the car and there was a bullet hole in the windshield.
Knowing Lovell had taken the child and spent only three of a possible 13 rounds in the stolen weapon, authorities began a massive search throughout the pre-dawn hours until almost noon using a tracking dog and air support with a TBI plane equipped with heat-sensing technology and a THP helicopter
Lovell then showed up around 11:00 a.m. at the home of Bill Ferrell at the intersection of New Home Road and King Ridge Road. She stood near the back door of the Ferrell residence holding her son in one arm and the gun in the other hand.
Captain Collins pleaded with Lovell to put the gun down but she continued to wave and point it at her child’s head, threatening to kill him. Collins then fired a shot from his revolver, striking Lovell in the temple area of her head. Collins then rushed to rescue the boy, who was not seriously injured.
Lovell was airlifted to Erlanger Hospital in Chattanooga where she underwent surgery and returned to the jail two weeks later. She lost sight in one of her eyes.
A parole hearing was held for Lovell in December, 2004 but she was denied early release at that time.

Posted in News and tagged .